All pathologies of the spine require serious treatment. Depending on the severity of the pathology, the doctor selects the tactics of therapy. Treatment of deforming spondylosis with the use of medications, exercise therapy, physiotherapy gives good results if you start it on time.
WHICH DOCTOR TREATS SPONDYLOSIS?
If you have problems with the spine and you suspect spondylosis, you should contact a neurologist.
How to treat spinal spondylosis? An integrated approach is used, combining medications, physiotherapy, therapeutic exercises. This will achieve a significant improvement in the patient’s health. The main directions of therapy:
- Drug treatment.
- Exercise therapy.
- The use of folk remedies.
If the listed methods do not help, then spondylosis will have to be treated promptly.
Treatment of spondylosis of the spine begins with taking medications that will stop the acute period of the disease. The following groups of drugs are prescribed:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Reduce pain, reduce inflammation. This group includes: “Diclofenac”, “Amidopyrine”. It is better to start treatment with injections, and after a few days you can switch to pills.
- Muscle relaxants to relieve muscle tension: “Miolgin”, “Muskoflex”. These drugs are available in capsule form.
- Multivitamin complexes. Improve metabolic processes, speed up the healing process. This group includes “Cocarnit” injections, which must be done for 10 days.
- Medicines to improve microcirculation. Expand the lumen of blood vessels, prevent the formation of microthrombi. Prescribed: “Agapurin”, “Betagistin”.
- Chondroprotectors. These drugs restore the structure of cartilage tissue, strengthening the spine, and reducing pain. Assign “Artradol” intramuscularly, “Rumalon” injections. The duration of therapy is at least a month.
For severe chronic pain in the spine and adjacent tissues, the doctor may prescribe antidepressants, they also help to relax the muscles. You can take Truxal.
How is spinal spondylosis treated if the prescribed drugs do not relieve pain? In such cases, paravertebral blockade with the use of “Lidocaine” and “Novocaine” will help.
After the acute period is removed, the treatment of spondylosis can be supplemented with physiotherapy procedures. Massage will help relieve muscle tension, improve blood circulation in the pathological area.
With cervical spondylosis, self-massage can be done, the stages of which are as follows:
- The massage begins with stroking from the back of the head to the shoulder.
- Then you can start rubbing. Press with the edge of the palm on the muscles of the neck.
- Kneading with fingertips.
- Massaging the bumps behind the ears.
Massage for thoracic spondylosis will not only reduce pain but also relieve muscle fatigue.
When doing it, it is important to adhere to the rules:
- The duration of the course is 10-15 procedures.
- The session lasts at least 15-20 minutes.
- During the first session, minimal pressure should be exerted on the muscles.
- All movements are from bottom to top.
- After the massage, it is advisable to take a shower and relax.
Classic massage of the thoracic region involves the following techniques:
- Stroking with palms.
- Rubbing with thumbs and the edge of the palm.
- Kneading allows you to work on the deep muscles of the back.
- Vibration is carried out at the last stage and is tapping, tapping.
You can massage using a roller massager, vibration. Such equipment can be used even at home.
How is spondylosis of the lumbar spine treated? Be sure to use massage in addition to drug therapy. When massaging, it is important to observe the following standards:
- The patient must lie on a firm couch.
- You can only work on soft tissues lying along the spine.
- Increase the impact strength gradually from procedure to procedure.
- The duration of the massage depends on the state of the body and the chosen technique.
- Movements should be in the direction of lymph flow: from bottom to top.
- The procedure should be performed regularly, at least 10-15 sessions.
When massaging the lumbar spine, the classic technique is most often used with the following techniques:
- Stroking and rubbing to warm up the patient’s muscles.
- Kneading to work on deeper muscles.
- Vibration in the form of tapping, patting.
The massage therapist can perform each technique with the pads of the fingers, palm.
It is important to remember that massage is not recommended for some disorders. These include:
- High body temperature.
- Inflammation in the body.
- Fungal skin lesions.
- Active tuberculosis.
- Inflammation of the lymph nodes.
- Sexually transmitted diseases.
To get the maximum benefit from the massage, the procedure should only be performed by a specialist.
Surgery for spondylosis is indicated if:
- Conservative therapy does not work.
- The pain is not relieved by strong drugs.
- There is the instability of the spine and there is a risk of damage to the nerve endings.
- A herniated disc was found.
Intervention options can be as follows:
- Foraminotomy. During the operation, the doctor expands the opening through which the nerve passes.
- Laminectomy involves cutting off a vertebra with growths that compress nerve roots.
- Discectomy. All or part of the deformed disc is removed.
- Cortectomy. During the operation, the surgeon removes the vertebra along with the deformed intervertebral disc.
If it is required to take measures to stabilize the spine, then resort to the following surgical procedures:
- The disc is replaced with an implant.
- Spinal fusion. The doctor stabilizes the spine by connecting the vertebrae to each other with brackets and screws.
- The damaged disc is removed and an autograft is placed in its place. It is a part of the patient’s own bone.
Any operations are carried out only with strict indications.
Treatment of spondylosis with folk remedies will complement conservative therapy. You can use the following methods:
- Healing baths.
- Decoctions of herbs.
Among the recipes, the following can be noted:
- Warming horseradish compress. For cooking, you need to take fresh horseradish leaves and knead them. Wrap the gruel in a napkin and apply to the pathological area.
- Cottage cheese compress. Take 200 grams of cottage cheese and combine with a teaspoon of 9% vinegar. Spread the product on the sore area and wrap it with foil, and on top with a warm scarf.
- Butter ointment. To prepare it, you need to mix the butter with a raw chicken egg and add wheat flour until you get a gruel. Then add 9% vinegar until a solution is obtained. After a couple of days, remove the film from it and use it to rub the diseased areas.
- Take in equal proportions mint, plantain seeds and leaves, fireweed, St. John’s wort, oregano, burdock, and lemon balm. Brew the mixture like regular tea and drink it throughout the day. The tool has an excellent analgesic effect.
EXERCISE THERAPY AND GYMNASTICS
Exercises for spondylosis of the spine are selected taking into account the localization of the pathological site. Classes are aimed at strengthening and stretching the muscles. An important requirement in the presence of spinal spondylosis is that exercises must be performed regularly, only in this way you can notice a positive effect.
Gymnastics for cervical spondylosis involves the following exercises:
- Put your palm on your forehead and press your head on it for 10 seconds, then the same thing, but your hand is on the back of your head.
- Press in turn on the temples, straining the muscles.
- Relax your shoulders, head straight, and turn to the side.
- Tilt your head back and try to reach the jugular fossa with your chin.
- Tilting your head to the side, touch the care to the shoulder.
- Rotate your head clockwise and counterclockwise.
- From a position lying on your stomach, raise your shoulders and head.
- Lie on your back, put a roller under your head, and raise your head.
With spondylosis of the lumbosacral spine, the complex should be performed with maximum relaxation of the spine, therefore it is better to sit or lie down. The exercises are as follows:
- Sitting on a chair, lean forward, trying to touch the legs of the chair with your hands.
- From a position lying on your back, bend your legs at the knees and tilt them in one direction or the other.
- The position is the same, to bend in the lower back, but do not lift the pelvis off the floor.
- Lie on your stomach, put your hands under your forehead. Straining your back muscles, raise your shoulders and head. The neck should not be tense.
- Get on all fours, your back is straight. Raise your head and bend in the lower back.
Perform all exercises slowly and without sudden movements.
Complex for the thoracic region:
- Stand straight, hands along the body, palms out. Lift them up through the sides, stretch and return to their original position.
- Connect your hands in front of you, palms out. Raise your hands up and stretch.
- Raise the shoulders up, pull back, trying to connect the shoulder blades, and lower.
For each patient, taking into account the severity of the pathology, a set of exercises is selected individually.
Spondylosis of the spine is a serious pathology that requires treatment. The favorable prognosis for the patient if therapy is started in the early stages of the development of the disease and combines several methods of treatment. Spondylosis without treatment will lead to more serious problems.