Minor deformities most often do not require any specific treatment. Corsets are used for the treatment of moderate deformities in adolescents with growth potential and allow curing the initial stages of the disease.
Physical therapy is recommended to improve posture and create a good muscle corset
The use of corsets for scoliosis
The use of braces for scoliosis is prescribed at an early stage. They are supportive therapy and are aimed at helping to keep the back muscles in the correct position and contribute to the formation of posture.
There are supporting corsets, they are represented by reclinators, chest correctors, semi-rigid chest corsets. Corrective corsets are used to correct the curvature and stop the transformation of the vertebrae. The tool helps to keep the spine in a normal position, facilitates muscle work.
Corrective corset must be worn for at least 6 months. A support corset must be used in the postoperative period.
Corset support is also important for proper blood circulation. After all, when the corset supports the aching back, the organs take their correct position. Consequently, all organs begin to do their job correctly. And this affects the general well-being of a person.
Physiotherapy exercises and exercises for scoliosis
With scoliosis, gymnastics and physical education, swimming, yoga, and running are very useful. All these activities help to strengthen the muscles and the entire body. They serve as prevention of the disease and help to stop the process of scoliosis in the early stages.
IMPORTANT! Power loads and all sports associated with this are contraindicated. Hanging on the horizontal bar and acrobatic exercises are also contraindicated.
An approximate set of exercises for the home:
- It is enough to stand on tiptoes in the morning and stretch your arms up, stretching the spine. Slowly spread your arms to the sides. On the next stretch, make turns to the left and right.
- The crouching position also helps to stretch and relieve pain. Do gymnastics slowly and smoothly, with even breathing.
- In the supine position, bend your knees and pull them towards your stomach. The back remains straight and flat on the floor.
In the gym with a trainer, they do exercises to strengthen the muscles of the back. Before playing sports, you need to consult a doctor.
Yoga for scoliosis
Yoga classes should be performed only after a doctor’s recommendation.
- Exercise for unloading the spine.
Exercise Cat Pose – Cow Pose. The starting position is to get on all fours and rest your hands on the floor below the shoulder level. When inhaling, bend your lower back, lifting your head up. When exhaling, lower your head and bend your back. Repeat up to 10 times.
- The starting position is on all fours.
While inhaling, raise your left arm and leg up, reaching for your hand. Lower them to their original position. Repeat the exercise with the right arm and leg. Do it up to 10 times. Breathing slowly and evenly.
- Lie on the floor on your stomach and stretch your legs. Bend your arms at the elbows near the lower back. Get up, bending in your back and try to align your arms. At the knees, the legs can be bent. Try to reach the feet with the top of your head. As you exhale, lie down to the starting position. Do up to 10 times.
- Take the starting position, sitting, in the lotus position, if possible. Place your hands on your left shoulder. When inhaling, turn the body to the left, while exhaling, return to its original position. Change the position of the hands to the right. Do it up to 5-7 times.
Physiotherapy for scoliosis
Physiotherapy is carried out at 1 and 2 degrees of scoliosis. Treatment of grade 3 and 4 is not an easy task. The goal of therapy at these degrees is to prevent further scoliosis from developing. Help bring a few degrees of curvature back to normal.
Breathing exercises according to the Katarina Schroth method, massage, gymnastics, and wearing corsets will be effective. Indications for physiotherapy should be made only after a doctor’s recommendation.
- ultrasound therapy;
- electrotherapy (electrophoresis and stimulation of the abdominal and back muscles);
- Charcot’s shower and hydrotherapy;
- mud therapy.
All of them are designed to help the body improve metabolism and increase blood flow, improve muscle tone, relieve tension and pain symptoms.
The use of massage is a reflex effect on the back muscles.
For each degree of scoliosis, certain types of massage are used using different techniques:
- Stroking the back of the left and right sides along the entire body line up and down. At first smoothly, then more rhythmically.
- Then they move on to deep stroking.
- Grasping massage and flat massage are used.
Manual therapy is a wide range of possibilities. And the qualifications of a specialist must be at a high level. Compulsory medical education and specialization in this area. The doctor’s knowledge must be deep.
The specialist begins his sessions with a relaxing massage and stroking and ends with stretching the vertebrae, screwing them in and setting them
Medical treatment for scoliosis
The main goal of drug treatment is to eliminate pain, improve blood circulation, and reduce curvature. A comprehensive solution is needed in the treatment of scoliosis. These are treatment with pharmaceuticals and massages and physical education, and yoga, and manual therapy, physiotherapy, and reflexology.
In the last stages of the disease, when conservative methods do not help, the surgeon directs for surgery. Surgery is able to correct the curvature, albeit not completely, but bring the spine back to normal condition by strengthening with special metal devices – plates and braces.
Surgical treatment usually requires a deformity of more than 45 degrees due to the high risk of developing diseases of the cardiovascular system, using special screws and rods, the surgeon achieves correction and stabilization of the deformity.
Treatment with folk remedies
Treatment with folk remedies is possible at any stage, but it must be combined with the treatment prescribed by the doctor.
How does an osteopath treat?
At the beginning of the first meeting, of course, the conversation.
From it, the osteopath learns from the patient what worries him and conducts further treatment:
- Axial load tests. When pressing on the patient’s head, he assesses the stability of the body, balance, weak points and the possibility of compensation.
- The osteopath uses many techniques and techniques. These are active and passive tests, when he asks the patient to bend over, strain, thereby he diagnoses his condition. Or he himself runs his hands over the patient’s joints, assessing their condition.
- Tensile and twist tests.
An osteopath is a highly qualified doctor who is able to determine with his hands where the problem is in the body, displacement, which organs are restricted in movement, what is the cause of spasm and pain.
Treatment according to the method of Katharina Schroth
When breathing according to Schroth, the patient must breathe consciously with all the sunken zones of the chest. It is necessary to get away from the stereotyped breathing, which has become possible for people with scoliosis due to improper posture and changes in the spine. They breathe stereotypically according to their disease, and the chest is involved in the breathing process asymmetrically
The procedure goes like this:
- At the beginning, the patient is placed on the massage table. It has a hole for the face. For some time he lies in a calm state and breathes.
- The instructor gives a light massage to the areas that sink. The patient must remember the sensations in these areas. Have a memory in your head about zones.
- Then the instructor puts his hand on this area, and the patient tries to raise his hand while inhaling. The exhalation should be done as long as possible. In this case, the intercostal muscles are involved.
These exercises make it possible to remember the technique of inhaling and exhaling with certain problem areas. Their training takes place.
Methods and principles of scoliosis prevention:
- It is necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle. Alternate loads and rest. Have physical activity in the form of gymnastics and physical education. Monitor your posture and keep the muscle frame. Swimming, yoga. Be in a good mood and avoid negative emotions.
- Sleep on a hard mattress so that the spine does not sag, but stretches out.
- Have a diet containing substances necessary for the vital functions of the spine and the entire skeletal system.
- Do not be in one position for a long time, get up and warm up every hour, stretch the spine.
- Be outdoors a lot. Breathe correctly and follow a drinking regimen . For 1 kg of weight, 30 ml of water is the norm for a healthy person.
You may also like this: