The appearance of even a slight discomfort in the hip joint is dangerous because the health of the largest joint in the body depends on daily activity and the ability to move fully. Pain in the hip joint, radiating to the groin, becomes especially unpleasant. Why is there pain in the thigh area
causes of painful sensations
If during movement, at rest or when changing the position of the body, pain in the pelvic area is felt and gradually intensifies, this is a signal that pathological changes are taking place in the body.
The source of the resulting discomfort can be:
- infections that cause inflammation (arthritis);
- changes in the anatomy of the joint, which occurred as a result of injuries ( bruises, fractures), as well as dislocations and subluxations (congenital or acquired);
- degenerative diseases (osteoarthritis, coxarthrosis);
- aseptic necrosis of the femoral head (accompanied by tissue necrosis);
- inflammation of the bursa (bursitis) or tendons (tendinitis);
- inflammation associated with autoimmune diseases (occurs against the background of dysfunction of the immune system);
- inadequate blood supply to the joint segments;
- diseases associated with neurological disorders ( sciatic nerve neuritis, piriformis pathology).
The pain that radiates to the groin can be different: from sudden sharp to constant and aching.
Do not delay a visit to the doctor. Only a specialist will determine the true cause of the pathology and prescribe the necessary course of treatment.Why is there pain in the thigh area
Diseases with characteristic symptoms
Persistent discomfort in the pelvic region is a sign of conditions such as arthritis, coxarthrosis, bursitis, and tendinitis.
Arthritis of the hip joint, or coxitis
A person experiences aching pains, especially when walking. Movement becomes stiff and limited since unpleasant symptoms are localized not only in the thighs but also in the groin and buttocks. The pain can be accompanied by acute attacks with lumbago and spread to the knee.
The fact is that arthritis affects the connective tissue, and the discomfort itself occurs due to the inflammatory process that develops in the synovial membrane lining the articular cavity, in other words, within the joint itself.
If you start the disease and do not take any action, then soon arthritis will develop into osteoarthritis of the hip joint. In this case, we are already talking about degenerative-destructive changes: organ functions are impaired, a person’s physical activity becomes limited, disability is not excluded.
Coxarthrosis, or arthrosis of the hip joint
The disease does not make itself felt immediately. At first, the pain that appears in the groin is weak and aching in nature. Gradually “flows” down the leg and covers the front and side of the thigh, sometimes the buttock.
Discomfort is noticed when moving or when it is necessary to get up from a chair. Painful sensations appear at the very first steps. Then the symptoms dull, but after a long walk they again make themselves felt. Some lightness is present only during the period when the joint is at rest and rest.
With coxarthrosis, a destructive process of intra-articular cartilage occurs. First, one joint enters the affected area, and eventually another.
Ignoring the signs leads to the progress of pathology. The pain begins to increase: it becomes difficult to perform even simple movements, for example, pulling the leg to the side. This is due to compression, pinching of the ligaments and nerve bundles . In addition, a crunch occurs in the joint: rough and “dry” clicks appear as a result of friction of the articular surfaces. With progressive coxarthrosis, exacerbations occur lasting from several days to months.
It is characterized by an inflammatory process in the synovial periarticular sac. It serves as a kind of shock absorber, which reduces friction between the bones and the soft tissues covering them.
Hip pain is a key symptom of bursitis. Unpleasant sensations are not limited to the joint area: discomfort covers the groin area, the outer surface of the thigh, and can radiate to the leg. Symptoms are pronounced at the moment when a person lies down on the affected side.Why is there pain in the thigh area
The nature of the pain in bursitis is sharp, intense, and cramping, manifests itself in the depths of the tissues. With the progression of pathology, pain begins to dull and spread.
Experts identify the following possible courses of the disease:
- Vertical bursitis. In this case, the pain is reflected in the leg and outer thigh .
- Sciatic-gluteal bursitis. Discomfort is felt with particular force when trying to sit up.
Hip tendonitis, or tendinosis
It belongs to the number of rare diseases, more often professional athletes suffer from it. Pathology is associated with a significant load on the legs and, as a result, inflammation of the tendons.
Tendinitis often appears as a result of the development of arthrosis, degenerative-dystrophic changes. In addition, the disease can occur against the background of joint dysplasia, infection, calcium metabolism disorders, thyroid dysfunction, and aging of human tissues.
Tendonitis of the tendon of the hip joint first affects the groin, and then the flexor, quadriceps, and abductor muscles.
The nature of the pain depends on the stage of the disease:
- First stage. The pain is felt only during the period of physical activity.
- Second stage. Discomfort during movement is added to the pain during training.
- Stage Three. The pain does not subside, it causes inconvenience even during walks and rest.
- Stage four. Soreness manifests itself in the groin when a person tries to move the leg to the side, while the angle of elevation of the limb is limited.
Symptoms of tendonitis include crunching and lameness.
Who to contact and how to treat
If you are concerned about pain in the hip joint, which also radiates to the groin, it is better to contact one of the following doctors: a physiotherapist, rheumatologist, traumatologist, orthopedist, a neurologist. After examination and identification of the root causes of pathological processes, the doctor will diagnose and prescribe a course of treatment.
The patient should:
- provide peace;
- sleep only on the healthy side;
- exclude loads;
- change body position;
- wear warm and loose underwear;
- do not overcool.
The whole range of means and manipulations, the choice of healing methods will depend on the causes and symptoms of the disease, the degree of complication of the pathology.
- Drug therapy includes non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, antirheumatic drugs, cytostatics, glucocorticosteroids, and chondroprotectors. In some cases, hormones and immunosuppressants are needed, medications to improve blood circulation.
- In situations where conservative methods do not give results, surgery and endoprosthetic are performed.
- In some cases, special orthopedic products are used, plaster is applied.
- If necessary and there are indications, massage, physiotherapy exercises are prescribed, physiotherapy procedures are useful.
Pain relief methods
To relieve pain in the hip joint, different methods are used:
- Topical preparations. These are ointments, creams and patches, which contain an active substance that relieves pain.
- Transcutaneous electro neuro stimulation (TENS). With the help of a special electrode that sends impulses, the nerve endings around the affected area are affected. The procedure allows you to block pain.
- Pinpoint injections or injections of glucocorticosteroids. The specialist injects the drug with a thin needle into the joint. This relieves inflammation, the pain is relieved for several weeks or even months.
- Medicinal pump. A pump is placed under the patient’s skin and occasionally injects a drug into the bloodstream to relieve pain.
- Hot and cold treatments. To eliminate discomfort, warming or cooling heating pads and compresses, hot salt baths are used.Why is there pain in the thigh area
Doctors advise taking care of yourself as much as possible, especially if you are at risk. Experts recommend:
- Monitor your figure and control body weight. To do this, you need to eat right.
- Eliminate excessive physical activity, including carrying heavy objects and jumping from a height.
- Train, but dosed. The main goal is to strengthen the muscles of the thighs and buttocks. You can do, for example, cycling, swimming.
- Choose comfortable shoes. It helps reduce the risk of injury and bruising.
If pain in the pelvic area appears and does not go away, rush to the doctor. The sooner you do this, the higher your chances of staying healthy.
Why is there pain in the thigh area, Why is there pain in the thigh area, Why is there pain in the thigh area