Heartburn is an irritation of the esophagus that is felt in the pit of the stomach. It is a rather unpleasant burning sensation, ranging from what is colloquially known as the “pit of the stomach” to the throat, in which an acid taste is produced.
How to remove heartburn: what is it and its most common cause
The most common cause of heartburn is related to digestion. There is a valve in the esophagus, which is where heartburn occurs, a sphincter, which opens to make it easier for food to pass through, and that valve should always be closed to prevent heartburn from occurring, which is a function necessary for good digestion, but which rises from the stomach to the esophagus when this valve has not closed properly.
When this happens, we have that burning sensation, and the cause of the heartburn can be due to excesses in the food that cause us to have heavier digestion than usual. In addition, that burning sensation, due to heavy digestion, also produces acidity in the throat.
Antacids are usually the home remedies most effective end quickly with heartburn and relieve symptoms effectively and quickly, but there are preventive measures to avoid this unpleasant feeling, based on good habits food.
What factors can increase the chances of heartburn
Some causes of heartburn may be related to abuse of pain relievers, such as ibuprofen and aspirin. And these two drugs, while relieving headaches or tiredness, increase the chances of heartburn.
There are foods that induce the appearance of heartburn, and that if we are prone to it, we must avoid, or at least limit its consumption enough. Chocolate, alcohol, caffeinated or carbonated drinks, acidic fruit juices, fatty or very spicy foods, onion, tomato, pepper or vinegar, promote the appearance of heartburn, especially if consumed in excess.
Some routines such as stress, excess food, or eating quickly can lead to heartburn.
Tricks to prevent heartburn
To prevent the appearance of heartburn, there are a number of techniques that we can follow that will prevent this problem from appearing. They are as follows:
- Do not exercise immediately after eating, because it will make digestion difficult and digestive reflux will appear, causing heartburn and a burning sensation.
- Do not go to sleep until 2 or 3 hours before having dinner , since the pressure of the stomach can cause the sphincter to open, allowing food to open.
- Wear clothing that does not tighten at the waist to facilitate the proper functioning of the digestive system.
- Obesity is another factor that increases the appearance of heartburn since the accumulated fat can oppress the stomach and make digestion more difficult.
- Eat slowly and calmly so that food is assimilated slowly, and avoid swallowing air while eating .
- Avoid drinking during meals because liquids dilute gastric juices and make digestions slower and heavier.
Home remedies to avoid heartburn
There are home remedies for heartburn that don’t need preparation:
- Chamomile is a good help, since it improves digestion and general relaxation, especially that of the digestive system, thus reducing the risk of reflux and heartburn.
- Licorice is a good product to reduce heartburn, and in general it is a food widely used by people with gastric problems. It has calming properties for the stomach.
- Aloe vera is a well-known ingredient with soothing properties, and it works very well to cut heartburn, so if we suffer from this discomfort often, it is important to consume a quarter glass of aloe vera juice about 15 minutes before of each meal.
- Baking soda is the best-known product and one of the most traditional and effective antacid remedies. Taking a teaspoon of bicarbonate dissolved in a glass of water, we can cut the heartburn quickly.
- Marshmallow protects the stomach wall, and it is also a good remedy to cut heartburn, and it is very effective.
- Fresh ginger is also a very traditional home remedy, added in food, raw, or infused.
- Bananas are natural antacids, so they effectively fight heartburn.
- Chewing gums are a good antacid since chewing them reduces the acidity of the stomach. Its action of secreting more saliva makes the stomach relax and the flows do not appear. Furthermore, they are a natural protector of the esophagus. If we have this problem, it is best to chew gum just after eating to prevent heartburn.
- Peppermint is another of the most effective natural ingredients against heartburn, in fact, some pharmacy antacids include it among its active ingredients, and we will easily find antacid drugs with mint flavor.
You may also like this: