Diseases of the spine do not leave their mark on the general condition of the body. In the absence of treatment, the pathology only aggravates, leading to irreversible consequences. Severe diseases include curvature of the spine or rather scoliosis. Can grade 3 scoliosis be cured? The prognosis depends not only on the form of pathology but also on the patient’s age.
WHAT IT IS?
Scoliosis grade 3 is a deviation of the spine from its natural position by 25-50 degrees. The disease progresses rapidly without treatment and entails serious consequences in the form of serious disturbances in the work of all organ systems.
The disease can develop not only in childhood but also in adult patients is often diagnosed.
Taking into account the shape of the curvature, there are several types of scoliosis:
- C-shaped scoliosis grade 3. The spine is curved in only one direction.
- S-shaped. Two arcs of curvature are diagnosed, directed opposite to each other.
- The Z-shape is characterized by three curved arcs.
Depending on the form of the disease, the doctor selects the therapy for the patient.
SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS
Scoliosis at 3 degrees of development is impossible not to notice even externally. The main symptoms at this stage are as follows:
- The asymmetry of the body is clearly noticeable: if the curvature is in the thoracic region, then the head shifts to one side, the shoulder drops, one shoulder blade rises up, and the second falls.
- With lumbar curvature, the pelvic bones are deformed, one iliac bone rises and entails a skew, one leg becomes shorter.
- A hump is visible on examination.
- There are constant back pains.
- General weakness.
- Diseases of the respiratory system, heart muscle and blood vessels are diagnosed.
- The muscles do not fix the internal organs well, and the stomach begins to bulge forward.
- Disorders in the work of the digestive tract are observed.
- The person gets tired quickly.
- Shortness of breath appears.
- The impaired blood supply to the organs leads to blood pressure problems.
Pinching of nerve endings provokes numbness of the limbs, impaired coordination, great difficulty in moving. A person constantly feels pain when he wants to sit down or straighten his shoulders.
Treatment of grade 3 scoliosis in adults until complete recovery is almost impossible. Children have a better prognosis, given that the spinal column has not yet completed its formation and growth.
Doctors still cannot say definitively what causes the development of scoliosis. We can only note some provoking factors that increase the likelihood of developing the disease:
- Long-term asymmetric load on the spinal column.
- Violation of growth processes in the vertebrae.
- Spinal injury.
- Pathological muscle activity on the one hand, which is often observed in epilepsy.
- Endocrine system pathologies that make the spine more susceptible to inadequate stress.
- Diseases of the nervous system.
- Uneven growth of muscle and bone tissue, which is observed in the period from 6 to 7 years and from 10 to 14.
- Poor posture.
The presence of a third-degree of scoliosis in a person confirms a clearly negligent attitude towards his health. The disease progresses gradually and necessarily passes through the first two degrees. If you ask for help at this time, then everything can be fixed.
Confirming the presence of 3 degrees of curvature for a competent specialist is not a problem even with an external examination. The shoulder blades are located at different levels, there is a clear skew of the pelvic bones and shoulders.
Additionally, the doctor prescribes:
- X-ray examination in several projections.
- MRI to clarify the degree of muscle and bone damage.
- Ultrasound of internal organs.
- X-rays of light.
- Blood test.
After a complete examination, the doctor decides on the choice of treatment tactics and the need for surgery.
An orthopedist deals with scoliosis therapy. This advanced stage is difficult to correct, especially in adulthood. Treatment of pathology involves the use of the following methods:
- Wearing a corset.
- Operative intervention.
Treatment without surgery involves taking medications. The patient is in constant pain and needs to be relieved of them. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed:
The doctor recommends regular intake of vitamin complexes to maintain the functioning of the body. You cannot do without chondroprotectors, which will prevent further destruction of cartilage tissue. From this group you can take: “Chondrolon”, “Chondroitin”, “Dona”, “Structum”.
Treatment of grade 3 scoliosis at home is almost impossible, since the patient is recommended regular physiotherapy, massage and attending physical therapy classes.
Effective physiotherapy methods are:
- Electric stimulation of muscles. The procedure improves blood circulation in pathological areas, accelerates metabolic processes in tissues.
- Electrophoresis. Promotes the flow of essential medicinal substances to the tissues.
- Irradiation with electromagnetic waves. After the course of therapy, blood circulation in the pathologically altered area improves.
A positive therapeutic effect from therapy can be expected only after a course of procedures. A one-time visit to the physiotherapy room will do nothing.
To correct the abnormal curvature of the spine, massage is prescribed. The procedure should only be performed by an experienced specialist so as not to cause further harm to the patient.
Massage helps to tone some muscle groups and relax others. This helps to achieve back compensation and alignment of the spinal column. It is recommended to combine the procedure with the use of warming ointments to improve blood circulation.
It is impossible to correct the spine with one massage since the vertebrae are already firmly occupying their wrong position.
The doctor recommends that patients with grade 3 scoliosis wear special corset. It is allowed to take it off only during the night’s rest. The effect is achieved as follows:
- The load on the spinal column is reduced.
- Support is in progress.
- The progression of pathology stops.
For each patient, the corset is made individually, taking into account the shape of the curvature, the features of the pathology and localization.
It is forbidden to wear a corset around the clock. This will provoke muscle tissue atrophy.
Exercise for grade 3 S-scoliosis is an important therapy. They are selected by the instructor for each separately. Their implementation has the following goals:
- Remove muscle imbalance.
- Reduce load.
- Contribute to the formation of correct posture.
- Stabilize the spine.
The whole complex is carried out under the supervision of a specialist. It must be remembered that excessive overstrain of the spine is fraught with serious consequences. Exercise should be done every day.
An approximate complex may look like this:
- Walking in one place while maintaining correct posture for several minutes.
- Stand on your toes and pull your arms up.
- Lie on your stomach with your right arm extended forward, and the left arm extended to the side, palm down. Take your right leg to the side by 20 degrees. Hold on for a few seconds.
- Lie on your stomach and slowly raise your head and shoulders.
- Lie on your back, bend your leg and pull it towards your chest.
- With bent knees in a prone position, raise the pelvis.
- In the prone position, put one hand on the back of the head, and the other on the side of the curvature on the chest. Try to straighten your torso as you inhale and relax as you exhale.
- Lie on your side, put a roller under the side of the curvature. On an inhalation, take your hands behind your head, and on exhalation, return.
- Kneeling and leaning on your hands, raise the opposite arm and leg.
- Lying on your stomach, alternately raise your legs.
The complex should not contain twisting exercises, somersaults, sharp turns. Everything runs smoothly. During execution, the instructor monitors the behavior of the muscles and the spinal column.
Surgical intervention is rarely recommended for patients, but it cannot be avoided if:
- The patient’s condition worsens and when conservative therapy is used, the curvature angle increases.
- Scoliosis is congenital.
- There are strong curvatures of the spinal column.
- Pronounced cosmetic defect.
If the operation helps, then it must be done.
Surgical intervention can be performed using various methods:
- In children. During the operation, the doctor uses stabilizing systems to fix the spine, giving it the correct position. The system can grow in length as the child grows.
- In adult patients. Correction of pathologically curved areas is carried out and then fixation is carried out using stabilizers that prevent the spine from deviating to the side.
After surgery, it is necessary to wear a special corset, perform a set of exercises, and appoint a course of vitamin preparations with the calcium content.
If the diagnosis of grade 3 scoliosis is confirmed, then the patient is assigned the third group of disabilities. For its appointment it is necessary:
- Get confirmation of the diagnosis from the doctor after the passed examinations.
- A special commission establishes the degree of the disease, taking into account the violation of internal organs.
- Consult a therapist, neurologist, surgeon, and other specialists.
Grade 3 scoliosis is a serious illness and can impair a person’s ability to work.
Receiving group 3 gives the patient the right:
- Free prescription drugs.
- For annual spa treatment.
- For part-time employment.
- To get vacation at any time.
The curvature of the spine does not develop suddenly, but forms gradually. Monitor your posture, teach children to sit at the table correctly, exercise regularly to strengthen the muscle corset. If you have back pain, visit a doctor, do not start the disease, then you will not have to treat serious curvatures.