Allopurinol for gout is prescribed to provide uricosuric action. The drug effectively copes with the task. The prevention of exacerbation of gout is to stimulate the excretion of uric acid through the kidneys.
The drug in question is not endowed with an analgesic effect. At times of exacerbation, taking it is not effective. However, systematic treatment will help prevent attacks. To ensure maximum effect, it is important to know how to take allopurinol for gout.
Read this also:
- How can uric acid be removed from the body with gout?
- Glucosamine for Gout
- Is it possible to eat fish with gout
Composition and mechanism of action
Gout medicine contains the active ingredient, allopurinol. Its concentration depends on the form of release of the drug. As excipients, the instruction lists the following components:
- Magnesium stearate.
The reception of Allopurinol provides control over the production and stimulation of uric acid excretion. The active component of the drug interferes with the functioning of xanthine oxidase. This is an enzyme that allows hypoxanthine to be oxidized and synthesized into pathological fragments. Due to this process, the level of uric acid uric in the blood is controlled.
After using the drug, after 1.5 hours it is already actively working. And after 3-4 hours, the medicine reaches its maximum concentration in the blood, absorbed in the digestive system.
The drug Allopurinol is available in tablet form. Pharmacies offer medicine in blister packs. In one plate – 10 tablets (100 or 300 mg each). The number indicates the dosage of the active ingredient.
You can also buy tablets packaged in plastic bottles. In 1 package – 50 pieces. The bottle is placed in a cardboard box.
Indications and contraindications
Allopurinol helps with the following diseases:
- urolithic pathology with the formation of uric acid stones;
- gout (primary, secondary stages);
- cytostatic and radiation therapy of malignant tumors;
- hepatoblastoma (lymphosarcoma, acute leukemia, chronic myelogenous leukemia);
- traumatic toxicosis;
- during corticosteroid therapy, the drug helps prevent nephropathy;
- congenital dysfunction of purine metabolism in childhood.
Treatment of gout with the drug is not carried out with the following pathologies:
- renal failure;
- the presence of hypersensitivity in the patient to any component.
Tablets are not prescribed for early childhood. They are allowed to take for 3 years or above. During pregnancy, the drug is also not used. And if there is a need to take medicine during lactation, feeding the baby with breast milk is stopped.
Dosage and administration
Drink allopurinol with gout, adhering to the dosage. Usually, this criterion is determined by the doctor.
According to the instructions, the recommended minimum dose for an adult patient is 100 mg. A maximum of 800 mg can be taken. These are 8 tablets of 100 mg.
The dosage is calculated according to the concentration of acid in the patient’s blood:
- Moderate hyperuricemia is treated with 2-4 tablets of 100 mg per day. Reception is divided into 2 times. The active phase of therapy ends in 2-3 weeks. After that, they switch to maintenance therapy. During this period, 2-3 tablets are prescribed per day, dividing them into 2-3 doses.
- Allopurinol with exacerbation of the gouty disease is taken fractionally. The dosage per day is 6-8 tablets of 100 mg. Take at most 2 pieces at a time. On average, with exacerbation of gout, intensive treatment lasts about a month. Then, for 2-3 months, the patient is recommended maintenance therapy. During this period, drink 1-3 tablets per day. At one time – no more than 1 piece.
- Children from 3 to 6 years old can take the drug, calculating the daily dosage based on the bodyweight of the child. 5 mg per 1 kg of weight. Older children per 1 kg of weight are allowed to take 10 mg of the drug. The daily dose is divided into 3 doses.
The drug in question is taken after a meal with a sufficient volume of liquid.
Numerous reviews of Allopurinol for gout indicate that the drug is well tolerated. In rare cases, the following side effects occur:
- nausea, vomiting;
- abdominal pain;
- skin rash;
- sleep disturbances;
- depressed state;
It is extremely rare that medicine is capable of provoking exfoliative dermatitis, arthralgia, and fever.
Read this also:
- How to reduce uric acid levels from blood
- Gout treatment at home
- 5 Types of therapy and treatment for gout
You may also like this:
Allopurinol for gout, Allopurinol for gout, Allopurinol for gout