Many people love to swim and swim in the pool. And few people want to give up their favorite pastime after surgery. Even as complex as hip arthroplasty. But let’s hasten to calm you down. You don’t have to deprive yourself of pleasure. After all, soon after the operation, you will be able to visit the pool, observing simple precautions.
Is it possible to swim in the pool after surgery
After hip arthroplasty, swimming in the pool is not only possible but also necessary. After all, swimming strengthens the body and helps to recover faster after surgery. And water gymnastics is one of the most important components of the rehabilitation program.
Swimming during the recovery period improves the mobility of the hip joint and increases muscle tone. Patients who visit the pool after surgery report an improvement in their well-being and quickly return to their usual way of life.
When to start
You can visit the pool no earlier than 3-4 weeks after the surgery . The main condition for this is complete healing of the postoperative wound. Before you can start swimming, you must obtain permission from your doctor. The specialist should examine you to make sure the wound has healed and confirm that you are allowed water treatment.
After hip arthroplasty, you can only swim in warm water, the temperature of which is 28 degrees or more. You should not go into colder water, because it can harm the body and slow down recovery.
When visiting the pool, you should adhere to some rules:
- Be careful not to slip. Indoor floors are usually slippery and pose a lot of risks. If you slip, you can make a sharp movement and even fall, and this is fraught with dislocations of the endoprosthesis and periprosthetic fractures. To avoid trouble, walk slowly and very carefully.
- Observe an angle of more than 90 degrees. In order not to injure the operated joint, one should not allow strong bending of the leg. Therefore, when entering the pool and swimming, it is necessary to ensure that an angle of more than 90 degrees is maintained in the hip joint.
3.Follow your swimming style. After hip arthroplasty, you should swim on your back, crawl or butterfly. Move your arms and legs as slowly as possible. Breaststroke swimming is allowed only three months after the operation. And from the style of swimming “frog” is better to abandon completely.
Before proceeding with water procedures, consult with a rehabilitation doctor. He will tell you about all the nuances and give useful recommendations that will make bathing useful and safe.
The benefits of water gymnastics
Exercises in water are included in the rehabilitation program after hip arthroplasty.
Water gymnastics benefits the body, namely:
- loads and tones deeply located muscle fibers;
- relieves the load from the force of gravity;
- trains endurance;
- restores muscle strength;
- increases the amount of movement in the hip joint.
You need to do water gymnastics under the supervision of a specialist, and only the exercises recommended by him should be performed. During exercise, it is necessary to ensure that the hip joint is bent no more than 90 degrees. Making sudden movements and bending your legs too much is strictly prohibited.
Wellness water treatments
After replacing the hip joint, spa treatment in thermal springs is very useful . The water in them is very warm and contains a lot of useful microelements. While bathing in such springs, the body heats up, and the tissues are saturated with useful substances. Thermal waters stimulate the regeneration of muscles and ligaments, have anti-inflammatory and restorative effects.
- Swimming in the pool is allowed no earlier than 3-4 weeks after the operation, provided the wound is completely healed.
- You should visit those pools where the water temperature is at least 28 degrees.
- It is better to swim on the back, or crawl and butterfly. But from swimming “frog” and breaststroke should be abandoned.
- During water procedures, it is necessary to ensure that the leg in the hip joint is bent no more than 90 degrees.
- After the operation, it is very useful to do water gymnastics, as well as undergo spa treatment .